Dryer fire at Sunrise Senior Living at 2863 Hunter Mill Road is now out, officials say.
A fire reported Thursday afternoon on the second story of a building on Hunter Mill Road in Oakton is now out, Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department officials say. Spokesman Dan Schmidt said units received a call about the blaze around 1:43 p.m. The second-story fire was put out quickly upon arrival, he said. The fire began in a dryer at Sunrise Senior Living, an independent and assisted living facility for senior citizens. The address is also home to other businesses, including Nahal S. Lajevardi, PT, and Rehab Management Inc. Patch will update this story as more information becomes available. Stay up to date on all police and fire news in Oakton with our breaking email newsletters.
Kickoff event scheduled for Thursday in Alexandria
The 2012 Labor Day Weekend Fill the Boot campaign benefiting the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA) kicks off in Fairfax County with a special event Thursday. The Fairfax County Professional Fire Fighters and Paramedics — International Association of Firefighters (IAFF) Local 2068, in conjunction with the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, the Fairfax County Department of Public Safety Communications, the Greater Washington Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA) and Subway Restaurants are hosting the pre-collection event beginning at 10 a.m. Thursday at Fairfax County Fire Station 5, 6300 Beulah St. in Alexandria. "For the past seven of the twenty-plus years that they have been collecting, members of Local 2068 have consistently …