After a convincing 42-13 victory over Sidwell Friends on Saturday, the Flint Hill football team is in position to take its first conference title since 2009.
The Huskies piled on all 42 of its points in the first half, keeping the Quakers scoreless until the fourth quarter.
They scored four touchdowns in the first quarter: a 1-yard run from Cam, a 4-yard run from Connor Chess, a 3-yard run from Stevie Peterson, and a 72-yard punt return from Ben Kase. Jon Becker and Jerrod Reed scored the Huskies' last two touchdowns on a 51-yard catch and 3-yard run, respectively.
The Huskies will face off against rival Potomac on the Panthers' home turf 3 p.m. Saturday. The matchup pits the Mid-Atlantic Conference's two best teams — both 3-0 in the conference — against each other in the regular-season closer.
The two teams have dominated the last six MAC championships, with the Panthers edging out the Huskies in 2010 and 2011. The Huskies will look to reclaim the title they last won in 2009, its last of four straight championship wins.
Coach Tom Verbanic took over the head coach position this summer, replacing Michael Wright after nine years, four MAC titles and a state championship appearance. Verbanic is a Virginia Hall of Fame coach, who led the Westfield High football program to a 100-28 record for six district titles, two regional titles and two state championships..
Game Stats vs. Sidwell Friends
- Stevie Peterson, 3-4, 100 yards, 1 TD
- Connor Chess, 10 carries for 66 yards, 1 TD
- Jerrod Reed, 8 carries for 54 yards, 1 TD
- Cam Vaughn, 7 carries for 52 yards, 1 TD
- Stevie Peterson, 2 carries for 7 yards, 1 TD
- Tommy Peterson, 1 carry for 23 yards
- JJ Becker, 2 catches for 68 yards, 1 TD
- Cole Herdman, 1 catch for 32 yards
- Ben Kase, 1 interception and a 72-yard Punt Return TD