Taking the Metro to get around this weekend? Here’s what to expect.
According to the Metro website:
Free shuttle buses will replace Red Line trains between Dupont Circle and NoMa-Gallaudet U stations to allow for installation of new fiber optic cable for improved wireless communications, as well as track maintenance and third rail upgrades.
The following stations will be affected:
- Dupont Circle - open for rail service to/from Shady Grove only
- Farragut North - closed
- Metro Center - open for Blue/Orange line service only (NOTE: The station entrances at 11th & G St NW and 13th & G St NW will be closed. The entrances at 12th & G St NW and 12th & F St NW will remain open.)
- Gallery Place - open for Green/Yellow line service only (NOTE: The station entrance at 9th & G St NW will be closed. The entrances at 7th & H St NW and 7th & F St NW will remain open.)
- Judiciary Square - closed
- Union Station - closed (NOTE: Shuttle buses will depart from First Street NE, outside the Metro station entrance.)
- NoMa-Gallaudet U - open for rail service to/from Glenmont only
Red Line trains will operate in two sections:
- Between Shady Grove and Dupont Circle stations every 10 minutes between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m., and at regular weekend intervals at other times.
- Between Glenmont and NoMa-Gallaudet U stations every 10 minutes between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m., and at regular weekend intervals at other times.
Free shuttle bus service will operate on two routes:
- Limited stop buses will operate between Dupont Circle, Metro Center, Gallery Place and NoMa-Gallaudet U stations only. Customers using limited stop buses should allow up to 30 minutes of additional travel time.
- Local buses will stop at all stations. Customers using local bus service should allow up to 50 minutes of additional travel time.
Alternate travel options
- Many Metrorail stations are also served by Metrobus routes that travel to Downtown DC. To determine the best Metrobus itinerary for your trip, use Metro's Advanced Trip Planner, select your date of travel and choose "bus only" as your travel mode.
- DC Circulator provides frequent bus service along K Street NW, connecting Farragut North and Union Station and serving bus stops within walking distance of Metro Center and Gallery Place. For additional information, visit the DC Circulator website.
- Metrorail's Green Line provides service between Fort Totten (Red Line transfer station) and Gallery Place. Customers on the eastern side of the Red Line may wish to consider using the Green Line for travel to/from Gallery Place this weekend.
Last train information
- On Friday and Saturday nights, the last Red Line train from Shady Grove to Dupont Circle will depart 30 minutes earlier than normal, at 2:00 a.m. The last train from Glenmont to NoMa-Gallaudet U will depart 41 minutes earlier than normal, at 1:56 a.m.
- On Sunday night, the last Red Line train from Shady Grove to Dupont Circle will depart 30 minutes earlier than normal, at 11:00 p.m. The last train from Glenmont to NoMa-Gallaudet U will depart 41 minutes earlier than normal, at 10:56 p.m.
The Sept. 7-9 Red Line track work project was first announced in April 2012.
Trains will single track through two work zones:
- Between East Falls Church and West Falls Church to allow for testing associated with the Silver Line.
- Between Stadium-Armory and Cheverly to allow for platform reconstruction.
Throughout the weekend, Orange Line trains will operate every 24 minutes. Customers should allow 15 minutes of additional travel time.
Trains will single track between Huntington and Braddock Road to allow for structural repairs, grout pad rehabilitation and drain cleaning. Throughout the weekend, Yellow Line trains will operate every 16 minutes between Huntington and Mt. Vernon Square only. Customers traveling to/from stations north of Mt. Vernon Square should use Green Line trains to complete their trip. Yellow Line customers should allow about 10 minutes of additional travel time.
While there is no scheduled track work on the Blue Line, trains will operate every 16 minutes throughout the weekend to avoid conflicts with Orange and Yellow line trains.