.

A Look Back at Last Week's Fairfax County News

A roundup of area headlines.

A lot happened in Fairfax County last week. If you missed it, sit back and catch up with news rounded up from our Patch sites from around the county:

  • Fire Officials Say Explosion Intentional at The Sub Shop in Lorton: 

An explosion took place at The Sub Shop at approximately 10:30 a.m. Wednesday in Lorton, sending the owner to Washington Hospital Center's burn unit.

The cause of the explosion is under investigation. Officials from the Fairfax County Police Department (FCPD) and a bomb investigation unit were on the scene Wednesday investigating whether someone may have started the fire.

"There are reports of a subject leaving the scene on foot," said FCPD Officer Don Gotthardt. "We are considering him a suspect but we have no description of him."

  • USO Opens Warrior and Family Center at Fort Belvoir

Hundreds witnessed the ribbon-cutting Tuesday afternoon at the USO Warrior and Family Center on Fort Belvoir. The $25 million 20,000 square-foot facility is the largest USO facility ever built, and is designed as a place to lift the spirits of injured and ill troops, as well as local active duty personnel in all of the U.S. Armed Forces. 

"The USO has not only identified a need, but they have taken action," said Fort Belvoir Garrison Commander Col. Gregory Gadson, who lost both of his legs in Iraq in 2007. "This opening represents a partnership between all of our services in the USO…to help in the healing process."

  • Video: Annandale Fuddruckers Demolished on Thursday: 

The Annandale Fuddruckers, which closed in April, was demolished Thursday to make way for the incoming Walgreens. See photos of the demolition here.

The demoliton comes months after the proposed constructon start dates were announced in the fall. A trailer was posted on the property in December and the property was fenced off along Backlick Road and Columbia Pike.

  • Remains Found of Missing Springfield Man Oscar Velasco Montano:

A mysterious case involving a Springfield man missing for 19 months appears to have been solved, according to a news report Friday morning by the Frederick News Post.

Remains found south of Frederick, Md., near New Design Road are apparently that of Oscar Velasco Montano of Springfield, who went missing July 9 2011, according to the newspaper report.

  • :

Fairfax County Police have identified the man struck by the Amtrak train Thursday night as Richard Anderson, 64, of the North Springfield area. 

The Amtrak train was travelling west, just west of the Backlick Road overpass, when it struck and killed Anderson. No word on how Anderson got onto the tracks. Detectives from the Crash Reconstruction Unit responded to investigate and do not suspect foul play, the investigation continues.       

  • Police: Body in Quarry Is Missing Clifton Man Brian Woodworth: 

The body found in a Centreville quarry near Bull Run Regional Park Wednesday was Brian Woodworth, a Clifton man who went missing last week, Fairfax County Police have confirmed. Police are not investigating the incident as a homicide.

  • :

The serial groper has likely struck again, for the 18th time. Fairfax County Police detectives are investigating "what they consider to possibly be the 18th incident in this series," a news release from FCPD Thursday reads.

Officers responded to the 6600 block of Grey Fox Drive in Springfield Wednesday shortly after 5 p.m. for the report of a 21-year-old woman who had just been assaulted. Wednesday's incident took place about five miles from the last incident, which took place Jan. 30. Both took place on a Wednesday in the afternoon.

  • :

Fifteen teenagers from Chantilly and Herndon have been charged with allegedly manufacturing and using fire bombs in connection with a December incident near a Fairfax County elementary school.

According to a Tuesday release from the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, the explosives were reported at 9:15 p.m. Dec. 14 at a neighborhood playground in the 3200 block of Kinross Circle, near Oak Hill Elementary.

  • Report: West Springfield Students Pleading 'Not Guilty' to Child Porn Charges: 

The teenage boys from West Springfield High School charged with child pornography have pleaded not guilty to the charges, their lawyers tell The Washington Post.

The boys, one age 15 and two age 16, were charged Jan. 11 by Fairfax County Police after a tip to a school security officer in November led to an investigation.

  • Little Caesar's Pizza Coming to Woodlawn Shopping Center

Little Caesars is coming to the Woodlawn Shopping Center this spring. Mount Vernon residents received a flyer in the mail notifying them that the restaurant will open at 8752 Richmond Highway soon. The franchise is hiring crew members and managers, according to SnagAJob.com.

  • Belle View Safeway Scheduled to Re-Open March 15: 

The Safeway at Belle View Shopping Center will reopen March 15, according to store employees. Safeway closed Sept. 29 for major renovations. The renovated store will have an additional 5,300 square feet, for a total of 45,000 square feet. The exterior of the store was completely revamped. The renovated store will feature new meat and seafood department service, a Starbucks kiosk and an expanded bakery. Six self-checkout stands will also be added.

Got a news tip? Email your local Patch editor. Their email address can be found at the top of the site in the lefthand corner. Thanks for reading Patch!

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something