It seems like almost every day is some sort of wacky holiday. Did you know that today is National Cheeseburger Day?
If you're a cheeseburger lover, celebrate the day at these burger emporiums in or near Oakton:
Five Guys Burgers and Fries
10940 Fairfax Blvd.
3575 Chain Bridge Road
142 Branch Road S.E.
11861 Palace Way
Some fascinating cheeseburger factoids:
- The largest cheeseburger ever made in the world weighed in at a whopping 777 pounds. Created June 2, 2011 at the Alameda County Fair in California by Juicy's, the giant burger also featured 50 pounds of cheese. The bun alone weighed in at 272 pounds. Fairgoers were able to purchase 99-cent portions of the estimated 1.375 million calorie burger to eat.
- As we settle into fall weather, it's a great time to fire up the grill. Thirty new cheeseburger ideas like the "The Johnny Appleseed," which features aged Wisconsin cheddar, maple bacon, sauteed apples, whole grain mustard and red onions on sourdough, can be found here.
- But you don't have to eat meat to celebrate National Cheeseburger Day. If you want to make your own patties, here is a "Best of Everything" veggie burger recipe.
- The popular Jimmy Buffett song "Cheeseburger in Paradise" was inspired by a boat trip Buffett took. Hampered by bad weather and tired of the canned food and peanut butter stocked aboard, Buffett found himself continually craving a cheeseburger. When the boat finally docked on the island of Tortola, Buffett was able to order the cheeseburger he had been fantasizing about. Buffett fans who want a list of his top 10 places to get a cheeseburger should go here.
- Anyone remember Mayor McCheese? The giant cartoon cheeseburger served as the bumbling mayor of McDonaldland from 1971-1985. A lawsuit against McDonalds over the character's resemblance to H.R. Pufnstuf was settled in 1977.