Nine Hospitalized After Carbon Monoxide Leak
A leaky gas stove sent nine people to the hospital — several were children.
Five children and four adults were rushed to the hospital tonight after being overcome by carbon monoxide poisoning from a malfunctioning gas stove in their apartment.
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue firefighters responded to an apartment on the 9500 block of Blake Lane near the Oakton-Fairfax border. All nine people were suffering from headaches. They are expected to fully recover.
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas emitted from sources of combustion fumes, such as heating systems, stoves and car exhaust. Many gas companies add butyl mercaptan to natural gas to give it a distinct odor similar to that of rotten eggs to make people aware of potential gas leaks quickly.
The most common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain and confusion.
In April, a family of five died from carbon monoxide poisoning in Oxon Hill, Md. The cause of the leak in that case was a gas furnace.
Tips for preventing carbon monoxide poisoning are listed on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website.